Jump to Content
HeLTI Canada Team Publications
HeLTI Canada Publications
- Dennis, CL et al. (In press). High-Risk Health Behaviours of Pregnancy-Planning Women and Men: Is there a Need for Preconception Care? Midwifery.
- Dennis, CL et al. (2022). Screen Use and Internet Addiction among Parents of Young Children: A Nationwide Canadian Cross-Sectional Survey. PLOS One.
- Dennis, CL et al. (2021). Describing 24-hour movement behaviours among preconception and recently pregnant Canadian parents: who do we need to target?Behaviour Medicine.
- Vanderloo, LM et al. (2021). Selecting and Evaluating Mobile Health Apps for the Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative: Development of the eHealth Resource Checklist.JMIR mHealth uHealth.
- Dennis, CL et al. (2021). Protocol for a randomised trial evaluating a preconception-early childhood telephone-based intervention with tailored e-health resources for women and their partners to optimise growth and development among children in Canada: a Healthy Life Trajectory Initiative (HeLTI Canada). BMJ Open.
- Ravindran, S et al. (2020). Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial of an Interconception Intervention Provided by Public Health Nurses. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 24(9), 1161–1169.
- Cairncross, Z et al. (2020). Development and Psychometric Evaluation of the Preconception Health Knowledge Questionnaire. American Journal of Health Promotion.
- Cairncross, Z et al. (2019). Measurement of preconception health knowledge: A systematic review. American Journal of Health Promotion, 33, 941-954.
- Brown, H et al. (2018). Preconception health interventions delivered in public health and community settings: A systematic review. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 108, e388-e397.
- Medical, behavioral and social preconception risk factors among pregnancy planning and recently pregnant Canadian women
- Predictors of preconception health knowledge among women: A nationwide cross-sectional study
- Preconception risk factors and health care needs of pregnancy-planning women and men with a lifetime history or current mental illness: A nationwide survey
- Rae, S., Ong, F., Dennis, CL., Hamilton, J., Maguire, J., Pullenayegum, E., Birken, C. (2022). Parent involvement in child anthropometric measurement. BMC Primary Care (submitted).
- Rae, S., Ong, F., Dennis, CL., Hamilton, J., Maguire, J., Pullenayegum, E., Birken, C. (2022). Reliability of anthropometric measurement of young children with parent facilitator. International Journal of Epidemiology (submitted).
- Rae, S., Keown-Stoneman, C., Ong, F., Dennis, CL., Hamilton, J., Maguire, J., Pullenayegum, E., Birken, C. (2022). Reliability and repeatability of at-home parent height and weight of young children. Pediatrics (submitted)
HeLTI South Africa Publications
- Silubonde TM*, Baumgartner J, Ware LJ, Malan L, Smuts CM, Norris S. Adjusting Haemoglobin Values for Altitude Maximizes Combined Sensitivity and Specificity to Detect Iron Deficiency among Women of Reproductive Age in Johannesburg, South Africa. Nutrients. 2020 Feb 27;12(3):633
- Draper CE, Prioreschi A, Ware LJ, Lye S, Norris SA. Pilot implementation of Bukhali: A preconception health trial in South Africa. SAGE Open Med. 2020 Jul 7;8
- Wrottesley SV*, Prioreschi A, Slemming W, Cohen E, Dennis CL, Norris SA. Maternal perspectives on infant feeding practices in Soweto, South Africa. Public Health Nutr. 2021 Aug;24(12):3602-3614.
- Prioreschi A, Wrottesley SV*, Slemming W, Cohen E, Norris SA. A qualitative study reporting maternal perceptions of the importance of play for healthy growth and development in the first two years of life. BMC Pediatr. 2020 Sep 9;20(1):428.
- Wrottesley SV*, Prioreschi A, Kehoe SH, Ward KA, Norris SA. A maternal “mixed, high sugar” dietary pattern is associated with fetal growth. Matern Child Nutr. 2019 16(2): e12912.
- Soepnel LM*, Nicolaou V, Huddle KRL, Klipstein-Grobusch K, Levitt NS, Norris SA. Maternal and neonatal outcomes following a diabetic pregnancy within the context of HIV. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Dec;147(3):404-412.
- Nicolaou V*, Soepnel L, Huddle KR, Levitt N, Klipstein-Grobusch K, Norris SA. Maternal and neonatal outcomes following the introduction of oral hypoglycaemic agents for gestational diabetes mellitus were comparable to insulin monotherapy in two historical cohorts. S Afr Med J. 2020 Jan 29;110(2):154-158.
- Cohen et al. Material and relational difficulties: The impact of the household environment on the emotional wellbeing of young black women living in Soweto, South Africa. J. Family Issues 2020, Vol. 41(8) 1307–1332.
- Draper CE, Bosire E*, Prioreschi A, Ware LJ, Cohen E, Lye SJ, Norris SA. Urban young women’s preferences for intervention strategies to promote physical and mental health preconception: A Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI). Prev Med Rep. 2019 Mar 15;14:100846.
- Prioreschi A, Wrottesley SV*, Said-Mohamed R, Nyati L, Newell ML, Norris SA. Understanding how maternal social and biological factors are related to fetal growth in an urban South African cohort. J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2020 Feb 17:1-9.
- Prioreschi A, Wrottesley SV*, Norris SA. Physical Activity Levels, Food Insecurity and Dietary Behaviours in Women from Soweto, South Africa. J Community Health. 2020 Jun 19. doi: 10.1007/s10900-020-00861-5. Epub ahead of print.
- Ware LJ, Prioreschi A, Bosire E, Cohen E, Draper CE, Lye SJ, Norris SA. Environmental, Social, and Structural Constraints for Health Behavior: Perceptions of Young Urban Black Women During the Preconception Period – A Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019 May 15. S1499- 4046(19)30178-2.
- Bosire EN*, et al. Attitudes and perceptions among urban South Africans towards sugar-sweetened beverages and taxation. Public Health Nutr. 2020 Feb;23(2):374-383.
- Kehoe S, Wrottesley S*, Prioreschi A, Ware L, Draper CE, Lye S, Ward K, Norris SA. Food insecurity, diet quality and body composition: data from the Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative pilot survey in urban Soweto, South Africa. Public Health Nutrition. 2021 May;24(7):1629-1637.
- Ware L et al. Social vulnerability, parity and food insecurity in urban African young women: The Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI) Study. Journal of Public Health Policy (in press).
- Prioreschi A, Wrottesley SV*, Norris SA. Physical activity and sedentary behaviours during pregnancy are associated with neonatal size at birth. South African J Child Health (In press)
- Prioreschi A et al. Describing correlates of early childhood screen time and outdoor play in Soweto, South Africa. Infant and Child Development (In press)
- Prioreschi et al. Contextualising individual, household and community level factors associated with sugar-sweetened beverage intake and screen time in Soweto, South Africa. Hunger and the Environment (In press)
- Stephanie V. Wrottesley, Alessandra Prioreschi, Shane A. Norris. The association between fetal growth and neonatal adiposity in urban South African infants. Pediatr Obes. 2021 Apr;16(4):e12737
- Bosire EN *et al. Young women’s perceptions of life in urban South Africa: Contextualising the preconception knowledge gap. African Journal of Reproductive Health. 2021;25:39-49.
- Soepnel L * et al. Obesity and adiposity of 3- to 6-year-old children born to mothers with hyperglycemia detected in pregnancy in an urban South African setting. Annals of Human Biology. 48:2, 81-92, DOI: 10.1080/03014460.2021.1918245
- Nicolaou V et al. Cardiometabolic outcomes of women exposed to hyperglycaemia first detected in pregnancy at 3-6 years post-partum in an urban South African setting. PLOS ONE (In press)
- Nicolaou V et al. Perspectives on gestational diabetes mellitus in South Africa. SAMJ (In press)
- Soepnel L* et al. Cognitive and motor development in 3- to 6-year-old children born to mothers with hyperglycaemia first detected in pregnancy in an Urban African population. Maternal and Child Health (In press)
- Wrottesley S* et al. Maternal inflammatory diet and the association with gestational weight gain and delivery outcomes in urban South Africans. European Journal of Nutrition.
- Prioreschi A et al. Associations between abdominal adiposity, body size and objectively measured physical activity in infants from Soweto, South Africa. International Journal of Obesity.
- Prioreschi, A. Koethe, J. Aronoff, D. Norris SA. Relationships between adiposity distribution and metabolic health in pre- and peri-conception women in South Africa. Obesity Science and Practice
- Prioreschi, A. Goldstein, JA. Koethe, J. Aronoff, D. Norris SA. Interactions between maternal health and placental morphology on neonate body composition. Early Human Development.
- Draper CE, Mabena G, Motlhatlhedi M et al. Supporting behaviour change: Implementation of Healthy Conversation Skills in the Bukhali trial in Soweto, South Africa. Behaviour Change.
- Boerstra B et al. The impact of maternal hyperglycemia first detected in pregnancy on offspring blood pressure in Soweto, South Africa. Journal of Hypertension.
- Soepnel LM*, Kolkenbeck-Ruh A; Crouch SH; Draper CE; Ware LJ; Lye SJ; Norris SA. Prevalence and socio-structural determinants of tobacco exposure in young women: Data from the Healthy Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI) study in urban Soweto, South Africa. Drug and Alcohol Dependence
- Silubonde TM* et al. Determinants of anaemia among women of reproductive age in South Africa: A Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI). BMC Public Health
- Norris et al. Building knowledge, optimising physical and mental health, and setting up healthier life trajectories in South Africa (Bukhali): a preconception randomised control trial part of the Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI). BMJ Open
- Draper CE, Cook CJ, Redinger S, Rochat TJ, et al. Mental health, social vulnerability, physical activity, sedentary behaviour and sleep in urban African young women. IJBNPA
- Cohen E, et al. Maternal perceptions of child’s weight in Soweto. Medical Anthropology.
HeLTI India Publications
- Kumaran et al. Protocol for a cluster randomized trial evaluating a multi-faceted intervention starting preconceptually – Early Interventions to Support Trajectories for Healthy Life in India (EINSTEIN). A Healthy Life Trajectory Initiative (HeLTI) Study. BMJ Open 2021 (in print).
- Background context and co-development of intervention [This has been submitted to BMC Public Health – citation forthcoming]
- Dietary habits of Indian rural women during pregnancy and lactation
- Influence of family and community in food intake and habits of Indian rural women
- Perceptions of stress and coping mechanisms among Indian rural women
HeLTI China Publications
- Wu Y, Marc I, Bouchard L, Ouyang F, Luo ZC, Fan J, Dubois L, Mâsse B, Zhang J, Leung PCK, Liao XP, Herba CM, Booij L, Shen J, Lewin A, Jiang H, Wang L, Xu J, Wu W, Sun W, Wu J, Li H, Lei C, Kozyrskyj A, Semenic S, Chaillet N, Fortier I, Mâsse L, Zhan J, Allard C, Knoppers B, Zawati M, Baillargeon JP, Velez MP, Zhang H, Yu Y, Yu W, Ding Y, Vaillancourt C, Liu H, Tetu A, Fang W, Zhang R, Zhao X, Jin Y, Liu XM, Zhang H, Chen Z, Yang X, Hao YH, Abdelouahab N, Fraser W, Huang HF. Study protocol for the Sino- Canadian Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (SCHeLTI): a multicentre, cluster-randomised, parallel-group, superiority trial of a multifaceted community-family-mother-child intervention to prevent childhood overweight and obesity. BMJ Open. 2021. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020- 045192.
- Wu Y, Ma X, Fraser WD, Li M, Wang W, Huang H, Landry M, Hao Y, Liu H, Semenic S, Zhang Y, Wang H, Zhang J, Yu J, La X, Zhang C, Marc I, Jiang H. Caregivers’ perceptions, challenges and service needs related to tackling childhood overweight and obesity: a qualitative study in three districts of Shanghai, China. BMC Public Health. 2021. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-021- 10744-6
- Liao XP, Yu Y, Marc I, Dubois L, Abdelouahab N, Bouchard L, Ouyang F, Wu YT, Huang HF, Fraser WD. Prenatal determinants of childhood obesity: a review of risk factors. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2019. 147-154. DOI: 10.1139/cjpp-2018-0403
- Paquin C, Côté SM, Tremblay RE, Séguin JR, Boivin M, Herba CM. Maternal depressive symptoms and children’s cognitive development: Does early childcare and child’s sex matter? PLoS One. (2020). 10;15(1):e0227179. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0227179.
- Duval K, Langlois MF, Carranza-Mamane B, Pesant MH, Hivert MF, Poder TG, Lavoie HB, Ainmelk Y, St-Cyr Tribble D, Laredo S, Greenblatt E, Sagle M, Waddell G, Belisle S, Riverin D, Jean-Denis F, Belan M, Baillargeon JP. The Obesity-Fertility Protocol: a randomized controlled trial assessing clinical outcomes and costs of a transferable interdisciplinary lifestyle intervention, before and during pregnancy, in obese infertile women. BMC Obes. 2015 DOI: 10.1186/s40608- 015-0077-
- Mâsse LC, Vlaar J, Macdonald J, Bradbury J, Warshawski T, Buckler EJ, Hamilton J, Ho J, Buchholz A, Morrison KM, Ball GDC. Aim2Be mHealth intervention for children with overweight and obesity: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2020 DOI: 10.1186/s13063-020-4080-2
- Breton E, Gagné-Ouellet V, Thibeault K, Guérin R, Van Lieshout R, Perron P, Hivert M, Bouchard L. Placental NEGR1 DNA methylation is associated with BMI and neurodevelopment in preschool-age children. Epigenetics. 2020 DOI: 10.1080/15592294.2019.1666653
- Kheir F, Feeley N, Maximova K, Drapeau V, Henderson M, Van Hulst A. Breastfeeding duration in infancy and dietary intake in childhood and adolescence. Appetite. 2021. DOI: 10.1016/j.appet.2020.104999
- Guo F, Liu Y, Zheng D, Zhang Y, Zhang C, Fan J. Observations of the Effects of Maternal Fasting Plasma Glucose Changes in Early Pregnancy on Fetal Growth Profiles and Birth Outcomes. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 2021;12(1011). DOI: 10.3389/fendo.2021.666194
- González de Armas, A, Ochoa Marin SC, Semenic S. Identifying priorities for practice improvement related to breastfeeding support in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in Medellin, Colombia. Journal of Neonatal Nursing. 2021. DOI:10.1016/j.jnn.2020.07.001